Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A quick fun project with my Pi

I was looking for a simple Raspberry Pi project that would be fun for Halloween, something with some spooky sounds that used pygame (I've read about pygame on Adafruit Learning System and wanted to give it a try) and I found this article on the Make blog.

I didn't use an Arduino though, instead I just read 2,3 and 4 from keyboard. At the time I didn't know pygame can help with reading keys as well so instead I used some simple code I found on the web and ended up with this program.

Since I run my Raspberry Pi headless it was very easy to set it up by my sound system; connected my laptop wirelessly with the Pi and turned the keyboard to my 3 year old son. He had a blast pushing keys and making sounds. A quick simple project that turned out to be very fun for him - thanks Make and Shawn Wallace in particular for the idea.

Next, I want to change the code so I read the arrow keys instead of number ones; this will be a step towards using my Makey Makey with the Pi. I found some resources, the most promising seems to be this one. I'll update when I have something working.

No comments: