Friday, May 16, 2008

Review: The Man Who Turned Into Himself by David Ambrose

I'll start by saying that I liked this book a lot. It is my first encounter with David Ambrose but I am sure I'll pick up more books of his.

I love books that have a Science Fiction background to them but this is not all they are: Science Fiction. The Many Worlds theory and the bit of time travel ideas in this book are only a backdrop to explore ideas about mind, about unconscious versus conscious which can become (and behave) like independent entities. For me, this book is a discourse about human mind (and mostly about what we don't know about mind) and the universes it can create, that could be as real for someone as any palpable reality around.

In the end, one can't be sure if the Richard A. Hamilton is indeed time- and parallel universe-traveling or he is just getting crazy; or maybe he is just more perceptive than the rest of us, starting to see his alter-ego(s) (or maybe the little voices in his head) as real persons.

I definitely recommend this book not all to Science Fiction fans but to anyone.

3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: